Monday, September 18, 2006

Colorado Minimum Wage?

OK, we all should be concerned with the Colorado Minimum Wage issue coming up on this falls ballot (amendment 42). Here are some things to consider:

A minimum wage worker in Colorado earns just $5.15 an hour...that means if I'm working full time at 40 hours per week, I make just under $11,000 annually. I can't make ends meet...I'm still in poverty. There is no way I could raise my family. I'm not alone.

It is estimated that over 37,000 Coloradoans experience this type of poverty. It just isn't a living wage, and congress hasn't adjusted this since 1997. What we need to struggle with is how can we let this continue? Why can we let our fellow Coloradoans suffer?

Opponents say this will eliminate entry-level jobs and crush small businesses. Why would it have to be that way? Can't we find a way to help those struggling to find skills or become educated WHILE compensating them fairly with living wage? Wouldn't this strengthen our economy, and make us stronger? I encourage you to get to know the issues and the candidates for this fall. There are lots of hungry people that will be affected by your choices!

No comments: